Thursday, July 22, 2010

Today I decided I had finally had enough of the sign that says "geograyhy" and made all new Dewey guide signs for the shelves. Hooray!

Kedi brought up the chair incident from yesterday and actually had a really good point that I hadn't thought of: if we turn away patrons or don't have enough chairs, that can actually be a good thing, because they might complain to BNLS and push BNLS to open the new library or make other much-needed changes. It's often simply impossible to understand the context behind seemingly irrational behavior and decisions, and I need to remind myself that often the natives know best. Even with all my education and good intentions, I fall into Amerocentric thinking.

As I flipped through today's Daily News, I saw that the Sesigo launch in Kanye finally received notice, almost two weeks later. Imagine a two week news cycle in the US! Everything is paced very differently here.

Just when we had concluded that Njama had disappeared or forgotten about us, he gave me a call yesterday. Apparently his vacation in Kenya turned into a trip to Zimbabwe and South Africa, too. Wish someone had told us! He's coming tomorrow to visit me and Ashley, then on to Cara.

Ashley and I left the library a bit early and began our marketing strategy, taping colorful, informative posters outside post offices, clinics, AIDS/HIV counseling/testing sites, grocery stores, etc. I hope they will generate traffic and interest.

2 comments:

  1. Professor Nathan Mnjama of the University of Botswana, Prof. Angelina Totola's colleague. She has been there.

    ReplyDelete