Monday, July 26, 2010

Thank goodness for UW professors!

Today Ethelene visited from UW. I was kind of nervous, oddly. I guess I wanted her to be proud and impressed? It was so good to see a familiar face and get a hug. We talked with the family for a good long while, trying once more to explain the program--it's purpose, parameters, and especially the fact that we're not getting paid. Mma and the Kgosi were pretty gracious. Then we headed to the library and met with Max, who had glowing things to say. He's a kind man, and I'm grateful to have him. We gave Ethelene a pretty thorough tour of the library, then got to head out to the new one for another look--it's still huge and gorgeous! The internship would truly be a different experience there.

We decided on the spur of the moment that Ashley and I would ride down to Gabs with Ethelene and Angelina, for lunch at NewsCafe. We chatted on the way, then Angelina headed to the office so the three Wisconsonians could catch up and discuss the program. That was wonderful, to really reflect for a good long while. I truly felt heard, and I was able to realize yet again and even more how much I've learned and accomplished, and also where I might've made mistakes.

Angelina had scheduled an appointment with Mnjama for the afternoon, so Ashley and I had to catch a combi back to the station to head back to Moleps. It was a long day but wonderful. Now we need to decide what to do Friday, on our "outing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment