Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Storytime a la school

I skipped yesterday, and I have a short memory, so on to today!

We showed up at the library at 8am and headed soon after to a nearby primary school, to do a little library information/orientation session. First, we had a class of 2nd and 3rd graders. They were all packed into a room. One teacher said an intro in Setswana, then a prayer. Then Ashley and I each read a simple book in English, followed by Max in Setswana. Then Max talked briefly about libraries and reading. The kids are great--attentive, excited, and they answer back wonderfully! We gave new books away to children who participated especially well, which I have some issues with... Then we had a quick tea with a few of the teachers. One of them has been teaching since 1976! She said she's tired. I believe her.

We also had another ESL class with seventh graders. Yesterday's kids had a really hard time with English. This time, they were pretty good. I'm not sure how they're being sorted. We had the same program as usual. Thabo came again, and she seems displeased to be there, so I had a chat with Max about continuity and sustainability, and hoping Thabo and Lebogang will participate now, so they can teach once we leave! I'm getting more comfortable, and it was nice to hear that the club is creating buzz at the school--they've been showing up early out of excitement! Hooray. Trained or not, maybe I'm making a difference.

1 comment:

  1. In response to your last thought: you ARE!

    ReplyDelete