Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Back to the grind

After a much-needed long holiday weekend, it was back to work today. Since the kids have a "mini vac" this week, we are free from our usual teaching duties, which is kind of nice. And with Ethelene arriving next week and the itinerary undecided, the staff will be in charge of lesson planning for next week.

So, freed from the seventh-grader yoke--ha--we began compiling the data from our user survey. Already there are some interesting things to note: users absolutely want free internet access and computer training above all else. We have some work and write-up to do!

The library was BUSY today. I love it. There weren't enough places to sit, so I gave users the couple of staff chairs--no workers were in the building anyway, since Max is away and the mice will play. But wow, did I cause an unexpected crisis. One staff member went to Kedi, the administrative woman, and accused the gatekeeper of stealing or misplacing the chairs. When the gatekeeper and Kedi came to me, I immediately owned up, but the anger was interesting. In my mind, no one was using the chairs and the users' needs come first. But Kedi told me that, if there are no chairs, patrons need to just leave. There is a clear demarcation of what chairs belong where. In fact, I witnessed an argument over a chair earlier in the internship. I should have known better! Easily solved--a couple of chairs had emptied by then and I returned them to the staff areas. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment