Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Here safe

Hi all,

I'm safe here in Botswana. One of the UB professors has given me the extra key to her office so I can use her computer. Yay!

This culture shock thing is no joke, it turns out. Nothing here is familiar, and I'm definitely having some trouble sleeping and eating. I hope it gets better soon.

We are staying in the graduate student housing. We each have a little room, and share a kitchen, bathroom, and living room with a total of six women (3 of us from Wisconsin). One of the other women is from Uganda, one from...hm.... and the last is from Botswana but never seems to be around. Everyone is very nice.

This morning we met the dean of the library and information studies program and the dean above him. Then we met in a conference room and had delicious snacks while getting some orientation on health, safety, and the like from Profs. Mnjama and Totolo, another professor, the head of international programs, and two student workers from the international office. It was good to have a lot of questions answered.

I also found out that I will be staying in the compound of the chief of Molepolole. I will have my own small apartment, and he is even having a refrigerator installed for me! The city will look to me as another of his children, effectively, so I have to watch my behavior carefully--no young men stopping by at night, and absolutely skirts in the chief's city hall type lodge. Everyone agreed that pants and sneakers should be just fine at work, though. I feel fortunate to have been placed there, also because there are grocery stores "with variety" and such in Molepolole, so I won't need to commute to Gaborone for my basic shopping. I was also expecting that the bus ride would be 2 hours from Moleps to Gabs, but it should be only 1.

Send me your calm energy, and I will post again when I have an opportunity.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh ....

    Sounds like you've ended up in the best possible place, except for the skirts, Rachel. How big are these towns (cities)?

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray!

    I'm sorry you are having difficulty eating and sleeping. That's a normal part of culture shock, and I hope will go away as you become more comfortable. You are very brave!

    It might sound silly, but I bet doing "mundane" things like going to the grocery store and riding the bus by yourself will help build your confidence. I say "mundane" in quotations, because these activities would be mundane here, but for you they are very new experiences.

    I look forward to learning about Botswana from you because I know so little about it. You will be our teacher.

    After you are settled, and working in the library, I would like to hear about the technology around you. For example, are solar powered computers used by school children? It is called "One Laptop per Child" http://laptop.org/en/

    If you see these or are able to use them, what do you think about them? What kind of features do they have?

    I think that's enough for you to think about for now. You have plenty of other things on your mind.

    Remember to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that wasn't supposed to delete... Anywho, it just said you're doing great kid! Bust out some of that yoga and you'll feel right as rain in no time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you arrived safely and I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your adventures. Sala sentle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving here about your experiences! You are so insightful and are doing great, no doubt. I, too, had difficulty with the eating part when I was in Tanzania, and it does get better with increased comfortability in your surroundings. Like Jason said, the little things really help in establishing a groundwork on which to build your experience. Live engaged in every moment, and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete